Saturday, November 5, 2011

Women Across Borders


The Amazing Contrast Between Oppression of Women In The Eastern and Western cultures.
 How do we draw the line.
Find the balance.




France tried banning the Burkha in protest of the Islamic Religion's Supposed Oppression of women.
However, i think it should be understood that mainstream Islam does not require it's female followers to wear the burkha. just like mainstream Christianity does not require its female followers to only wear skirts... it does not stop fundamentalists of both religions from taking it to the extreme.



 In India a dowry is payed during marriage. the question often posed is, whether or not the dowry does not make the man feel he purchased a woman and therefore he owns her?
My father told me he payed a Dowry for my mother as is done in the African culture.
He also told me that the boy wanting to marry me would also pay.
He explained that the Dowry in Africa lost its meaning when it became money rather than cows.
He says the dowry was invented for a man to prove what he was willing to do to marry a woman.
For example my Grandfather asked my father to pay a certain breed, color and sex of cows for my mother.
My father had to find the cows specified. Which was not Easy.

Does Culture lose its Value when Modernized?




2 comments:

  1. deep stuff, and yes it seems money has indeed corroded the very essence of the dowry my understanding of it as a young man is, its symbol, a sign that a as a man will provide for the family i want to start, and searching for the specific cows shows that i am also willing to go through think and thin, go to the ends of the world even just to make sure that i am providing for my family...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money tends to give the impression that you are purchasing the woman. while cows not only show your willingness but are also used for the wedding. The money tends to be misused by the uncles. furthermore, cows can be returned when a woman no longer wants to stay married. cash will be a lot harder for most families.

      Delete